Monday, July 25, 2011

3rd IVF Ultrasound & Bloodwork (!)

Today is Day 10 on the injectables and I did try my very best to go in to the appointment with the sense that whatever the news, I would be okay.  I had a feeling that it would be good news, however, and it was!!

Dr. Patton said something like, "Oh, now things are starting to happen," like he was pleased.  The follicles that had been dragging their feet about growing caught up a lot since Friday's appointment and whereas many of them had been measuring at 2 or 4 or 6mm, now almost all of them were at least 11mm and two were 15mm!  So, naturally I was overjoyed and giving all the credit to my two acupuncture sessions last week--especially Saturday's treatment where I got the electric stim acupuncture. 

I asked the doctor if he could give me an idea of how many more days I'll need to take the injectables, so we know how much to order . . . we do not want to have any left over since they are so pricey.  He said two or three days, but he would know more after my bloodwork came back.  He seemed cautiously optimistic, but not encouraging really (I suppose they try to be very careful of that so as not to devastate someone if things suddenly look different on the next visit), and said that he would probably want me to come back on Wednesday.

When the nurse called me this afternoon, I could tell from her voice that the news was good and that we are still on track.  My estradiol level was 1,666 and she said it's been a "nice, steady climb" in terms of how it's been increasing from appointment to appointment, which is what they want to see.  I was glad.  And then she gave me the best news: tonight we begin the third injection which is Ganirelix.  It's a prefilled syringe (yay, no mixing!), and gets injected subcutaneously like the others.  Then I'll go back on Wednesday for another ultrasound and if things are still progressing nicely, they'll have me do the "trigger shot" in preparation for retrieval 36 hours later. 

So, Friday could be a BIG day for us!  But we'll still try to take it a day at a time and try not to get too excited too fast.  I can tell you that it was really hard concentrating on work after I got the nurse's phone call.  Granted, our IVF cycle was all I had been thinking about before I got the call, but after the call I got a surge of adrenaline, so then it became almost impossible to concentrate.  I did finally pull it together and get some work done, but I think I had a small smile on my face (like I do now) the rest of the day.

Ah, patience.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment