Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pre-IVF To-Do List Complete

Michael and I each had an appointment today at OHSU.  His was a semen analysis with (hopefully!) a frozen sperm sample to be used in case of emergency later on down the road to IVF.  The plan is that he will give a fresh sample on the day that I have my eggs retrieved, and they will use the fresh sperm to fertilize the eggs, but just in case the numbers and quality don't look so hot, they will have the backup frozen sperm to use instead. 

I had a trial transfer and a saline infusion sonogram to make sure that my uterus is clear and that the tube they will use passes easily through my cervix (yes on both counts).  The doctor also took measurements of my uterus, ovaries and the cysts.  Dr. Paula Amato performed the procedure, while a resident looked on (since it is a teaching hospital, they often ask if it's okay for a resident to be present), and a nurse guided the ultrasound wand.  I should clarify here that at OHSU all of the fertility doctors work together and confer on each patient's case and they fill in for each other.  Since Dr. Patton wasn't available, Dr. Amato did my procedure which I was totally okay with.  She counted the number of follicles and said that she saw 6 on each ovary . . . 12 total without any fertility drugs at all is not bad, and is better than the 8 that I had with the Clomiphene Challenge.  However, as I learned last week, just because there is a follicle doesn't mean it contains an egg.  I guess that's why they try to get as many follicles as possible with the fertility drug stimulation--they are hoping to wind up with a good number of mature eggs.

We should get Michael's test results in a few days, and since we both also had blood work done this past week, we have now completed all of OHSU's IVF prerequisites.  My thyroid check showed a decrease in my TSH level (down to 1.71), so I think that qualifies me to go ahead with IVF.  The next step then will be to apply for financing, and once approved, we will meet with the IVF coordinator to go over cycle dates, sign consent forms and learn how to do the injections.  Then it will be on to the drugs, retrieval and transfer.

It's getting more and more real.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear things have gone well so far. Exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christi. :) Yes, it is getting exciting!

    ReplyDelete