Thursday, March 29, 2012

Prenatal with Katherine & Alison

I saw Katherine and her apprentice, Alison, at Andaluz last Monday. The other times I've seen them have been at their Tualatin location, but this appointment was at the Portland location and I let them know I'd like my remaining appointments to be there too--since that is where we are planning to give birth.  I want to feel really comfortable and used to the space. 

Everything was much the same as my other prenatal visits: urine test fine, BP fine, weight . . . 147.  Hmmm.  Down 2 pounds from Stempel's scale but up one pound from theirs.  I could tell they weren't overjoyed, but Katherine said it was okay. 

The baby measured just fine--my womb was right on for 36 weeks (yay!) and his heartbeat sounded great as usual.  Katherine said at right around this time they listen for about two minutes in order to establish a baseline of what's normal for the baby--whether his heart tends to beat on the faster side or on the slower side.  That way, when labor begins and I get checked, they'll have an idea of how the baby is doing right from the start.  I like that.  His heartrate was in the 120's and sounded so loud and strong through the Doppler. 

Katherine confirmed that he is still head-down although she said she's been known to be wrong.  They offer an ultrasound to be done about now, in order to confirm baby's position.  That way if the baby is breech (vertex), they still have time to try to turn the baby or the parents can decide to go to the hospital if that is what they want.  I told her that I feel pretty confident he's head down since both she, Dana, Jennifer and Dr. Stempel have all agreed during separate exams that he is in the "locked and loaded" position.  :)  And he's been in this position for a good while now--probably for at least 6 weeks.  I don't think he's planning to surprise us now.

Katherine also said that the baby's head is "LOA," which I think stands for "Left Occiput Anterior."  She said it basically means that the back of the baby's head is facing me (so his face is turned to the inside of my body), and is slightly to my left.  She said it's the classic textbook position for a baby to be in for a normal vaginal delivery.  Music to my ears.  :)

Tomorrow (Friday), I see Dr. Stempel and get the results of my GBS test.  Cross your fingers it comes back a big fat negative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment