Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Visit With Jennifer

Two Thursdays ago I was lucky enough to snag a couple hours of time away from a very busy lady: Jennifer Taylor Childress. She is a midwife with her own homebirth practice on the Oregon coast, whom I met when I was a doula at the birth of my friend Kathleen's son, Jackson. Jennifer was one of the student midwives in attendance at the birth, and I was so struck by her calm energy and nurturing manner that I knew if I ever got lucky enough to get pregnant, she would be my first choice as caregiver.
We met for at Pizzicato's in Beaverton and chatted over pizza and panini. I tried to give a fairly brief synopsis of the events of this pregnancy and explained that we are still deciding where to give birth to our little boy. It looks more and more like it will be a hospital birth, and in that case, I really want to have a doula . . . correction, I really want to have Jennifer as my doula. :) I think it will be a lot easier for me to be in a setting that is not my first choice, if I have someone there with me during labor whom I know, trust and have chosen to be with me. What will be great is that potentially I will have two midwives with me--the CNM from the hospital and Jennifer, although Jennifer will be acting as my doula. Still--I'll have two women attending me who believe in birth as a safe, natural event and I know that will help me tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment