Saturday, December 24, 2011

20 Week Appointment & Ultrasound

On Monday it will already be three weeks since we hit the 20 week mark.  I guess I have let myself get a little behind with posting updates.  :)  But to make up for it, I have some ultrasound pictures to go with this post, as I'm sure you are all anxious to see more previews of our little man.
Michael and I ended up waiting about an hour for our appointment to start, which is definitely the longest I have had to wait so far at Dr. Stempel's office.  I think they must have been running behind.  The plan was for me to see the doctor before the ultrasound, but it turned out that I had the ultrasound first.  And since I was instructed to finish drinking 24 oz of fluid a half hour before my scheduled appointment time, you can be sure I was practically bursting at the seams by the time we were taken back. 

The ultrasound was quite thorough as it was the 20 week anatomy scan, where they check all of the baby's organs to make sure everything has developped properly and looks to be functioning.  The technician first looked at the other twin, who is still there, still enveloped in an intact sac.  It has moved down very close to my cervix, and is now between the living baby and the way out.  There is also a sac of fluid visible that the doctor guesses is blood and possibly where the spotting has been coming from.  He guesses that I will most likely have spotting off and on throughout the rest of the pregnancy.  He said I could still "pass" the other twin, and if that happens, it shouldn't affect the living baby at all. 

The technician also measured the endometrioma cysts on my ovaries and no one mentioned that they are necessarily bigger than before, so I guess we are doing okay in that department.  I'm glad because I have been eating dairy and some red meat while being pregnant, and I've been hoping that it wasn't having a negative effect on the endometriosis.

Our next appointment is at the end of the first week in January.  So we are going a whole month without going in . . . progress!  :)  At the next visit, I will ask the doctor about a referral to a midwife at Emanual, so I can get on board with hopefully having a waterbirth in April.

And now . . . the pictures:

Our little man.

My favorite of his hand and face.

Baby boy parts!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment