Friday, October 15, 2010

And They're In

After a few days of phone tag, I finally got to speak with Dr. Bruner yesterday about the results of my ultrasound and Michael's semen analysis.

My test was both good, and not-so-good. The March ultrasound showed what looked like a small cyst inside my left ovary. That has resolved--the doctor thinks it was simply the remnant of the follicle from where I had ovulated. But the other cyst, the "tubular mass" as she described it, which she thought might be incorporating my left fallopian tube, has gotten bigger, not smaller. Not so big as to be truly alarming, but big enough that Dr. Bruner mentioned I may want to have another laparoscopy to find out for sure what it is.

Michael's test revealed low counts both in sperm concentration and in the number of "good" sperm (by which they mean well-shaped and able to make the journey to the egg) overall. She said an average concentration of sperm would be about 20 million in the size of the sample they look at, and Michael had about 5 million sperm. So that's not great. But she did say that although the numbers are low, it's not totally bleak. There's still something to work with. Her recommendation for Michael was to get evaluated at a urology clinic. Sometimes men can have a a varicose vein (called a varicocele) in one or both testicles, which can cause a back-up of blood in the testicles, which can raise the temperature to a level that isn't the best for sperm. And I know that there are various supplements and herbal formulas that he could try that would probably help boost both the number and quality of sperm. I meant to order some months ago, but just haven't done it.

To be honest, I think it was about what I was expecting, because I didn't really feel surprised at her news concerning either of us. I had a feeling we each had something contributing to our lack of conception (it has been nearly 5 1/2 years now), and Michael's numbers were low when he was tested 2 years ago. I guess I just didn't emphasize how low when I told him about it back then. . . maybe I still believed most of the problem lay with me.

My concern is that the tubular cyst is not getting smaller. I would have thought that the herbs would have had at least the effect of maintaining its current size, if not decreasing it. I have a session with Jelena this afternoon, and I plan to ask her about it and see what she recommends. My 4th order of herbs is on its way to me as I speak--complete with 2 more formulas--one each for the luteal phase and the follicular phase (the ones the Fertile Soul recommended and which I have been taking for 3 months) and one each for the days when I am ovulating and when I am menstruating (which Jelena advised). Maybe I just need some more time on the herbs. Maybe incorporating more self-massage (okay, actually doing some self-massage) would have an effect. I'll see what she thinks. Dr. Bruner said that if I choose not to have a laparoscopy at this time, I should schedule another ultrasound in 3 months so they can check the cyst to see what it is doing. I know it's probably nothing--probably some scar tissue or some endometrial tissue from the endometriosis as the doctor suggested--but it still makes me wonder and feel a little scared for what it also could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment