Wednesday, April 11, 2012

38 Weeks & No More Jeans or Undies

This is kind of a humorous note to the tail end of my pregnancy . . . I have officially gotten so big that I can no longer wear either of the two pairs of maternity jeans I have or the bigger undies that I bought only about a month or two ago . . . I started out with some really cute dark blue denim jeans from The Gap that I wore from about 3 months to 6 months.  Then those got too tight when I sat so I switched to some "hippie" flared jeans in a lighter denim wash for the next couple of months.  Two weeks ago now (so 36 weeks), I went to put them on after washing them and discovered that they too had become too tight and uncomfortable.  The midwives at Andaluz had suggested bringing comfy clothes for labor and I figured I should just bite the bullet and buy myself some maternity yoga pants.  I also figured it was time because I had begun going pantless around the house since it wasn't comfortable to sit or lie on the couch in my jeans anymore.  Michael thought this was a funny turn of events, but I really wanted to be wearing some pants!  I found some great black ones at Macy's that weren't too spendy and have been practically living in them for the past two weeks.  The only other thing I can wear is the very cute black dress that Eileen loaned me . . . the equally cute leggings she loaned me are now too tight as well. 

And as for the undies . . . here's something I think is pretty darn hilarious in terms of maternity sizing.  I have been buying the "Motherhood Maternity" brand of undies since about my third month of pregnancy, and the tag said to "buy your pre-pregnancy size."  For me this was medium, so back when my baby bump was still pretty petite I bought a bunch of packages of three pairs.  Eventually I noticed that they were too tight (this was while I was still working), and I thought I could be thrifty and just snip the elastic around the legs here and there to make more room.  Let me just say that this did not work well.  I ended up with undies that were hanging on by inches of material but those inches were still too tight.  So I bought a few packages of size "large" undies thinking they would last me until the end of my pregnancy.  But I was a little confused about the sizing . . . I mean, if my pre-pregnancy size was supposed to work, how come I was buying the next size up? 

Well, this past week even those large size undies became too tight while I was sitting.  I just can't bring myself to buy more undies in a bigger size for only a few more weeks of pregnancy, so have now decided to spend the rest of the time "going commando."  Hope that's not TMI, everyone. 

I think it's pretty funny how it all worked out and that I am now down to one pair of pants.  I was thinking the other day that I sure hope my water doesn't break while I am wearing them because then--what will I be laboring in?  Maybe I will be going commando.  I know the midwives won't mind.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Trust me, YOU won't mind what you are (or are not) wearing once in full, active labor. I personally enjoyed being free of it all -- maybe you will too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christi, I totally believe you . . . I have a feeling my modesty will fly out the window once I am in active labor. Just hoping I have something to wear in the car on the way to the birth center or someone may get an eye full. ;)

    ReplyDelete