Sunday, November 13, 2011

Prenatal Visit at 16 Weeks

Last Tuesday we had a check-up with Dr. Stempel.  It was the regular 16-week appointment we'd had scheduled before the car accident happened.  His assistant Renee (I really like her), measured my weight (138--up four pounds from two weeks ago!) and took my blood pressure (normal).  When the doctor came in, he talked to me about how things have been going since the accident.  I told him that I'm concerned about the spotting that hasn't decreased and if anything has picked up a bit.  It's still "old" blood though, which isn't as worrying as if it was bright red.  Dr. Stempel said he doesn't know where it's coming from, although he is guessing that it's from one of my blood vessels that was going to the other twin's placenta.  When the placenta dislodged from the wall of the uterus, it may have broken a vessel and caused the bleeding.  Or it could have pooled up behind the placenta when I was bleeding so much right after the accident and is now making its way out of my body.  He told me that he's had about 100 women in his 35-year career who have spotted or bled during their second or third trimesters and most of them have gone on to have their babies with no problems.  In a few cases, things didn't work out, but in most they did.  I know he has to tell me that--that it doesn't always work out--but it didn't help to give me the reassurance I was hoping for.  He did say he has a feeling that I'll be alright (and baby too!), so I am trying to focus on that and remember that I am doing the very best I can.  And that little heartbeat is so strong!  It gives me hope that he is going to hang in there.

Dr. Stempel checked the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler and measured the length of my womb with an instrument that reminded me of a compass.  I asked if he'd found out any more information on the possibility of a waterbirth at Emanuel.  He grinned mischievously, like he'd had a feeling I was going to bring that up again.  :)  There are some waterbirths happening at the hospital, but mainly the certified nurse-midwives are doing them.  He said he's not really comfortable agreeing to help me with a waterbirth since he's never attended one and he's not sure if his partners would be comfortable stepping in if he wasn't available.  What he said next surprised me though, as the first time I'd asked him about it, he'd said he didn't think it was a good idea.  He said that as I get closer to my duedate and am still a candidate for waterbirth (there are certain criteria to meet), he would refer me to a midwife who could attend me at the hospital.  The surprising thing was that he said he would be happy to co-manage my pregnancy if that happened, and be available to step in should the need arise to help with more "traditional means," as he put it.  I was happy to hear that because I do like Dr. Stempel, and I think it would be great to have all my bases covered--in the event that I do need help during labor, I would feel much better already knowing and trusting the OB that steps in.  I did wonder what made him change his mind from the first time we talked. 

The doctor offered to see me again in two weeks instead of the usual four--to check the baby again and help with my peace of mind.  I was / am really grateful for that.  We go back on November 22, right before Thanksgiving.  Then our next visit will be at 20 weeks and we'll have the usual ultrasound to check the baby's organ development.  The doctor said they can check on the placement of the placenta as well and help determine how things will be lined up for the birth. 

Until then . . . keep growing, my little one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment